Above: The Festival of Sport programme during National School Sports Week in 2011.
The Coventry School Torch Relay project enabled each school in Coventry to develop and create their own Games inspired torch that was showcased at a special ceremony acting as the schools own torch relay event.
The Olympic Torch arrived in Coventry on 1 July 2012. In the week before, 25-29 June 2012, Coventry City Council supported as as many schools as possible to stage their own torch relay during this week in the build up to the Olympic Torch arriving in Coventry.
The 25-29 June 2012 was also Lloyds TSB National School Sports Week, enabling schools to include their torch relay event to enhance any sporting activity planned to take place. Schools could register at: www.schoolsportweek.org
What rules are their around making the torch?
The only rule was that every child in the school should carry torch. All schools took ownership of their own torch relay so that it is was a special and inclusive occasion for the school. It was up to each school how innovative the design of the torch/torches could be, involving pupils and staff, in deciding where the torch will be celebrated in the school.
How does our school get started?
1. Set a date for your torch relay during 25-29 June 2012.
2. Allocate a lead staff contact within your school for the project.
3. Discuss how you want to make your torch. Is it a whole school competition? Does each class or year group make their own?
4. Decide how the event will work. Is it part of the sports day? How will you co-ordinate children and staff carrying the torch? Will you invite parents?
5. Plan backwards key milestones which need to be achieved to put on the torch relay
6. Carry out your plan and review progress as you go along.
Where do I find more information about the Coventry Schools Torch Relay?
This is a project to enable each school in Coventry to develop and create their own Games inspired torch that can be showcased at a special ceremony within your school in the summer of 2012 for the schools own torch relay event.
Are there resouces on Get Set to help us?
Get Set has launched a series of resources about the Torch Relay which provides lots of details about the London 2012 Olympic Torch and the history of the Olmypic Torch. To view the Torck Relay resources click here.